Friday, August 24, 2007

Blowin' In The Wind

A fantasy of mine came true yesterday! I was trapped in an adorable card shop while torrential rain and wind wreaked havoc on Chicago. I couldn't leave, all I could do was BUY MORE CARDS!!!!

It was all fun and games watching the wall of water blow down the street until I returned to my neighborhood and saw the damage that occurred. While switching buses I noticed that a gigantic tree had been uprooted, and then it seemed like every tree everywhere I looked had blown over.



This is just something that you don't see in the city, EVER. I'm a huge baby when it comes to tornadoes, so I figured it was time to get home since the word on the street was another storm was a comin', and a comin' quick! Traffic was horrid and I could see a bunch of sinister clouds rolling in as my bus crept along the street. The downpour started about 4 blocks from my apartment, followed by panic, followed by this sight around the corner from my place, followed by more panic!


I ran home as fast as my slippery, water-soaked flip-flops would take me, hoping I wouldn't blow away, and returned to my apartment to take inventory:
Us Weekly: Dry, Intact, In Mailbox.
Electricity: not so much....

Oh well, you know what they say: nor wind, nor rain shalt keep thee from thine celebrity gossip.

UPDATE:
The news reported that the peak gust in the city of Chicago was clocked at 74mph near Wrigley Field, which is about a 10 minute walk from me and that fallen street sign. The tree that you see uprooted above was one apparently of the largest to fall. This occurred next to the Chicago History Museum who also report a pane of glass blowing out of their revolving door.

No comments: