Monday, April 28, 2008

Simon Says

It is wise advice to dress for success. This applies to job interviews and dates, and it definitely applies to meeting Simon Doonan, which I had the pleasure of doing on Saturday.

What's a girl to wear when she has 60 seconds to make a good impression on one of the wittiest and most creative powerhouses in the world of fashion and pop culture? What will tell Simon without words that I too am on the same trajectory of coolness that he is? Clearly the answer was my good friend the owl. We chit-chatted for a bit while he signed my book, the usual "It's so nice to meet you, how do you spell your name, I love your philosophy on life, etc" banter that typically occurs at book singings while the people in line behind you eye you to hurry up. After he lifted his pen and returned my book to me Simon said "I LOVE your owl pendant!" SCORE! In my mind I thought "I KNEW you would!" We chatted about how it was my mothers and how I should be wearing it with something long and flowy and then he reiterated his adoration saying "It could be worth a lot of money. It's so groovy!" No Simon, you're groovy.

I'm so smitten with this man! I sort of think we are long lost best friends. I couldn't help but notice an eerie resemblance in our handwriting, and I know we share a love for all things witty and British. Basking in the glow of my compliment and newly autographed book I kept thinking how great Simon was and how much I wanted to just miniaturize him and put him in my pocket. Think of all the fun you could have with a mini Simon Doonan in your pocket making jokes and giving you fashion advice! I think this is a great idea, so I would like to debut the prototype here. I give you Pocket Simon: GENIUS! Pure genius! If Pocket Simon was around today he would probably say "Are you seriously wearing that gray sweater that you have been wearing all winter again??" To which I would reply "Yes, Simon, I am. It's a lovely 30 degree day in late April in Chicago and I think it is perfectly appropriate." Then he would tell me to don the owl necklace and all would be right with the world.

No comments: